Eduroam – Connect Windows Vista & Windows 7 (manual instructions)
Please do not use these eduroam instructions unless the automatic setup wizard does not work on your computer.
There are two main steps to complete:
- Import the University’s Net CA Certificate
- Configure wireless settings
Import the University’s Net CA Certificate
- Connect to the Bristol-WiFi-Setup wireless network (open access), this will allow you to complete the next step (alternatively use a USB memory stick to transfer files to your computer).
- In Internet Explorer, not Firefox, Opera or anything else, go to this web page www.wireless.bris.ac.uk/certs/eaproot/uob-net-ca.crt to download the certificate and choose Open
- When the certificate opens, click the Install Certificate button.
- If asked which Certificate Store to use, pick Place all certificates in the following store, click Browse and then choose Trusted Root Certification Authorities and click OK.
- When asked to confirm if you wish to install the certificate click Yes.
Configure wireless settings
- Click Start, Control Panel, Network and Internet, Network and Sharing Center.
- Click Manage wireless networks.
- If eduroam is in the list of existing wireless networks, select it, right click on it and choose Remove network. Click OK if asked Do you want to proceed?
- Click Add.
- If asked, click Manually create a network profile in the How do you want to add a network window.
- Enter eduroam into the Network name box
- Change the Security type drop down option to WPA2-Enterprise
- Change the Encryption type drop down option to AES.
- Click Next
- Click Change connection settings
- Untick Connect to a more preferred network if available.
- Go to the Security tab
- Change the Network authentication method drop down option to Protected EAP (PEAP)
- Click Settings.
- Tick Validate server certificate.
- Tick Connect to these servers.
- In to the connect to these servers box, enter eduroam.wireless.bris.ac.uk
- Tick University of Bristol Net CA in the list of Trusted Root Certification Authorities (do not tick any of the others).
- Tick Do not prompt user to authorize new servers or trusted certification authorities.
- Change the Select Authentication Method drop down option to Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2)
- Tick Enable Fast Reconnect
- Tick Enable Network Acces Protection (called Enable Quarantine Checks on Vista)
- Click Configure
- Untick Automatically use my Windows logon name and password and click OK.
- Click OK again, and again.
- Wait for a yellow bubble to appear which says Additional information is required to connect to eduroam. Click this bubble (You may have to disconnect from any wireless networks you are currently connected to first).
- Enter your Bristol username with @bristol.ac.uk appended. For example, if your username is ab1234, enter ab1234SPAM@bristol.ac.uk
Enter your normal password in the password box.
Leave Domain blank.
- Click OK.
- Close any remaining open windows.
- You computer should now connect you to the eduroam wireless signal. This may take up to 30 seconds.